Friday, January 27, 2012

Yarn Burnout


Okay, my startitis has caught up with me. I have a pair of socks on that are a gift for later in the year. Much later. I started a beaded scarf and don't think I have the pattern quite right. I haven't sewn the buttons on my vest yet. I have a pair of jeans pinned up but not hemmed yet. And I started a pair of socks I was going to put a pair of fancy tiny cables down the side for a birthday present I thought I had two weeks to do. Duh. It turns out I can't count. I didn't have two weeks. I had ten days. So I dumped the cables and just put a simple rib down the side. I asked D to give me a hand. He said sure. Right after you finish the heel gusset because he doesn't like heel gussets. Or he'd start the second sock. But I think his cast on is too tight so I want to do the rib then hand of the sock to him. I finally got the gusset done about 9 this morning. I couldn't sleep last night so got up and knit until about 2am. So now I can pass off the first sock to D and I can cast on for the second sock. Oh yeah, it doesn't look like I'll have enough yarn. So I'm stopping off at my LYS to see if they have some superwash black and or white I can use. Gonna incorporate a color theme on the foot. It's sports related. So I need to get the twelve rows of ribbing done so I can pass the second sock to D and work on the design on the foot of the first sock. I have eight days left. And if my Local Yarn Shop doesn't have something I can use I have to get on the web and get something here ASAP.

In the meantime what I really want to do is spin. I've had this fiber for a long time. I tried spinning it before and didn't like it. I have more experience now and can appreciate it for it's qualities more. It's lamb's wool and it spins up a little fuzzy. It's very kinky. But I'm planning on at least a three ply or maybe a four ply for a bulky weight yarn. And I found out I can't seem to spin a heavier yarn. I concentrated so hard on spinning a fine yarn this is a little bit hard. So I must made sure what I spin after this on my wheel is a heaver yarn so I can get the hang of it. But I think I'll continue to spin fine yarn on my drop spindle.

But I'm not craving my knitting as much lately. I have thoughts of finishing a crewel pillow top I have mostly finished that's been sitting around longer than Darryl and I have been married. Or a cross stitch afghan that's been sitting around for only half that time. It'll be really cool when it's done.

So today it's pizza for dinner, clean a litter box, run to the post office, grocery store, and drug store, yarn shop and drug store. My LYS keeps weird hours so it's a crap shoot. If she's not open I'll find what I need on line and pay to have it shipped over night. Probably cost me more than the yarn but what are ya gonna do? If I didn't need superwash it'd be easy. I'd have it covered. But it must wash like the original yarn.

You you think anyone will notice I haven't had any sleep and am not wearing makeup? Oh yeah, horses, first feed horses. Wonder what else I forgot?


3 comments:

  1. Busy Bee! You need to make time rest in there. Since I have had the flu bug I have only knit about three rows on a sock, I don't what has gotten into me. I have sat at my wheel and admired the single on it that needs to be plied, but seem to have no motivation to do it.

    You have a lot on the go right now, schedule some downtime in there for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get it. I've got projects started and have been sidetracked on the Website for Garlic Secrets. I look around at what needs to be done then go the other direction.

    The yarn is very beautiful. Can't wait to see what you end up doing with it.

    ReplyDelete